Welcome to the Alien Card Application Information Pack
Registration of foreign nationals is governed by the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act of 2011 part VII (56) 2 laws of Kenya. The law requires that all foreigners resident within Kenya for a period exceeding 90 days be registered.
Section 2 of the repealed Aliens Cap 173 Laws of Kenya defines an alien as any person who is not a citizen of Kenya.A foreign national is defined in Part 1 of the newly enacted Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011 as any person who is not a citizen of Kenya.
What are the requirements
A reporting foreign national shall produce the following as part of application for a foreign national certificate/alien card:
- A duly filled, signed online application Form 50. You will print out the form at the end of the application for a foreign certificate (Alien card).
- A copy of a valid passport to establish identity and nationality
- Two recent colored passport size photographs(White background) taken not more than twelve months before date of application
- A resident person will be required to produce the above in addition to a valid permit or pass
- If the application is for a renewal the applicant will required to produce a previous foreign certificate (Alien card)
- For lost alien card, the applicant will be required to produce a valid police abstract as proof of loss
NB: All the requirements listed above must accompany the printed online application form during presentation at Nyayo House.
How to apply
You need to:
- Create a log in account within the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal
- Log in using the account you have created above to access eFNS portal
- Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the "Apply now" Link
- Click on the "Submit Applications" tab and select the Foreign National tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application.
- After completing the application form, an invoice will be generated which you can see by clicking on "Dashboard" then "Payments" Tab. If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to make a payment..
- If unable to pay using any of the online modes, print your application form by clicking on "Dashboard" then "My Applications" Tab (If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to print your application). Present your application with all the requirements at the Immigration Counter at Nyayo House or other regional offices, Nairobi for payments and processing.
- You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.
The Registration Process
A reporting foreign national shall produce a valid passport or other travel document to establish his identity and nationality, two recent passport size photographs of him/herself taken not more than twelve months before the date of attendance and any additional particulars as may be required by an immigration officer and shall have biometrics taken. Residents will be required to produce a valid permit or pass while visitors will be required to produce a valid visitor’s pass. Previous foreign certificate will be required during the renewal process, in cases where its lost a valid police abstract will be required as proof of the loss.
The exercise of registration entails receiving, verifying and approving application for foreign national’s certificate (alien card). Finger print impressions are then taken to produce the final product, which is a foreign nationals certificate.
Subject to subparagraph (3), a foreign national`s registration certificate issued under subparagraph (1) shall be valid for a period not exceeding two years in the first instance and may be renewed for further periods of two years
A foreign national`s registration certificate issued or renewed and the holder thereof is the subject of a permit or pass which will expire within two years of that issue or renewal the certificate shall expire on the same date as the entry permit or pass. In the case of permanent certificate holders the foreign national certificate shall be issued for a period not exceeding three years.
The following persons are exempted from Foreign National Registration.
- Serving member of the armed forces
- A public officer and the spouse and children
- A person exempted from the provisions of the Act under section 34(3) of the Act
- A refugee registered under the refugee Act 2006
- A person who resides in Kenya for a continuous period not exceeeding three months and is in possession of valid visitors or other authority under the Act e.g special pass
- Registration fee is non refundable
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- The applicant must be present in person when the application is presented at the immigration headquarters or regional offices for registration.
- Giving false or misleading information is an offence punishable by law
- Any person who contravenes any provision or requirement of an order issued to a foreign national commits an offence and is liable to a fine, imprisonment or both
Verify that you have the required document/pre-requisites and you meet the relevant criteria before you apply. Click on the "Apply Now" button on your right to apply.